Welcome back friends! Who would like some rich and savory carrot and tomato soup on a cold afternoon or evening? I know I do! This soup is tangy and delicious, pairing well with toasted bread or grilled cheese sandwiches!
Let’s make some!
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 lb. of carrots, peeled and cut into medallions
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt
- 2 cans of whole peeled tomatoes (28 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt
- Warm the 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a dutch oven or large soup pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook for about 5 minutes or until the onions begin to turn translucent.
- Stir in the carrots, black pepper, ground cumin and kosher salt and cook covered for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After about 10 minutes have passed, add the the whole peeled tomatoes with their juices and the dried basil, stirring well to incorporate.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover for about 20 minutes or until the carrots are soft. This may vary per oven, so keep an eye on them!
- Once the carrots are soft, remove the soup from the heat and use an immersion blender to carefully blend the soup until smooth.
- Stir in the greek yogurt and then use the immersion blender again to smooth it in.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!