Welcome back friends! This week we are roasting the turkey legs Sir Kay eats in Disney’s The Sword in the Stone.
This recipe is featured near the beginning of the film, in a scene that establishes Sir Kay’s contemptible nature. He munches on this turkey leg as he declares his indifference about Arthur’s whereabouts and safety. When I was little, I remember being fascinated at how easily he eats the meat off the bone.
This was an experimental recipe to be sure, but super fun to research! I looked up what kind of spices cooks had available and used on their meat during the Sword in the Stone’s time period, then created this rub! It is delicious, but I will warn you it is rich. I would definitely pair it with something fresh like a salad or another fruit or vegetable.
- 2 Turkey legs
- 1/16 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of ginger
- 1 tablespoon of minced onion
- 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 3/4 tablespoon of salt
- 1 cup of chicken broth
INSTRUCTIONS (TURKEY LEGS)
- Combine the black pepper, cinnamon, garlic powder, ginger, minced onion, nutmeg and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Pat the turkey legs dry and place them in a large roasting pan.
- Rub and pat the seasoning over and into the turkey legs.
- Pour the chicken broth into the bottom of the pan around the turkey legs.
- Roast the turkey legs for about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Bring the drumsticks out of the oven and glaze with honey then put them back into the oven for 10 to 20 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 170 F.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven, cover it with foil, and let it stand for 10 minutes.
- Once cool enough to eat, remove the foil and enjoy!