Have you ever had a pastry wrapped, baked apple? It’s like having our own personal apple pie and if you stuff it with something you love? Pure delight!
These pastry wrapped, baked apples are stuffed with something I love, Nutella! I also added some granola for texture, but you can go full Nutella if that’s what you’re into! This does take some work in preparation time, but it will be well worth it to eat! Enjoy it my friends!
PASTRY WRAPPED BAKED APPLES WITH NUTELLA & GRANOLA
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 4 Granny Smith apples
- 1 package of frozen puff pastry
- Set out the pastry dough to thaw enough to work with while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and ground cinnamon, then set it aside.
- In a separate small bowl, beat the egg and the water together until combined, then set it aside.
- Peel the apples and then use a melon baller to scoop out the cores, leaving the bottoms intact.
- Coat the outside of each apple with the cinnamon sugar mixture and set them aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out a pastry sheet to about a 9 by 10 inch rectangle, then cut the rectangle into 9, 1 inch strips.
- Repeat step 6 with the second pastry sheet.
- Starting at the bottom of the apple, begin winding a pastry strip around and up, slightly overlapping the edges of the pastry. Once a strip ends, align another strip and continue winding until you reach the top of the apple. Strips can be attached to one another by wetting your finger with water and smoothing dough together.
- Repeat step 8 with each apple until they are all wrapped in pastry and place them all on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Use the extra dough to create leaf shapes and attach them to the top of each apple by wetting your finger with water and smoothing the dough together.
- Lightly scoop some Nutella into the hole in the apple, then press some granola in and add more Nutella on top of the granola.
- Repeat step 11 with each apple.
- Lightly brush the pastry dough with the egg wash.
- Chill the apples in the refrigerator for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Remove the apples from the refrigerator and bake them for 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!