Welcome back friends! Who wants some fresh, oven baked peasant bread to enjoy on one (or more) of these beautiful autumn mornings? Or afternoons? Or evenings? Honestly, anytime is the right time for freshly baked bread!
So let’s bake!
HOMEMADE PEASANT BREAD
- 4 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of yeast
- 2 cups of lukewarm water
- Butter, for greasing
- Whisk together the flour, salt, sugar and yeast, then add the warm water and stir until well combined.
- Cover the bowl and allow the dough to rise for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until doubled in volume.
- Grease two bread pans with the butter, then set them aside.
- When ready, remove the cover from the bowl and using two forks gently pull the dough away from the sides of the bowl, then use the two forks again to split it in half down the middle.
- Transfer each half of the dough into a greased bread pan.
- Cover each pan and allow the dough to rise again for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Transfer your baking vessels to the oven and allow them to bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden all around.
- Allow to cool in the baking pan for at least 10 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.