Welcome back friends! We took a little break from creating Disney recipes, but I’ve missed this, so we’re picking things back up again! This month we’ll be roasting the peanuts from the WDP Circus in Disney’s Dumbo.
This recipe is featured twice in the film. Timothy mouse is snacking on them when he first meets Dumbo, and when Dumbo stretches his ears to fly, he sucks them up and sprays over all the rude elephants.
I love salted peanuts! These are brined to get the salted flavor within the the shell, then tossed with peanut oil and salt before roasting. These are a healthy and delicious snack, I hope you enjoy them!
WDP CIRCUS’S ROASTED PEANUTS
- 1 1/2 pounds in-shell raw dried peanuts
- 2 quarts of water
- 1/2 cup of kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons of peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons of kosher salt
- Thoroughly rinse the peanuts under cool water to remove any excess dirt.
- In a large bowl or pot, dissolve the 1/2 cup of salt in the water, then add the peanuts.
- Place a plate over the water’s surface to ensure the peanuts are submerged and brine for 24 hours.
- Drain the water, and spread the peanuts on baking sheets in a single layer to dry (this may take several days).
- Once the peanuts are dry, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the peanuts in a large bowl and toss them with the peanut oil and salt until well coated.
- Spread the peanuts back out onto baking sheets in a single layer.
- Roast in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes, rotating the pan(s) after 20 minutes. Everyone’s oven is different, so keep an eye on them so they won’t burn!
- Remove the peanuts from the oven. They will continue to “cook” and become crunchy as they cool.
- Allow them to cool before eating and enjoy!