Do you still have a VCR? Not many people have VCRs anymore. We do, although we don’t use it often.
If you don’t have a VCR anymore, what should you do with all your old VHS, including all those Disney films you grew up with? You could collect them, donate them, or recycle them. But wait! If you decide to recycle them, let’s remove the beautiful cover art and use it to make some drink coasters!
- Disney VHS cover art
- A “pair of compasses” tool
- An eraser
- Ceramic coasters with cork bases
- Mod Podge
- A foam paintbrush
- Clean the coasters; wipe them down with a damp washcloth and allow them to dry.
- Remove the cover art from the VHS cases and, using a pair of compasses tool, trace circles that are slightly smaller in diameter than the diameter of the coasters.
- Carefully cut out the circles and erase any leftover pencil markings.
- Using a foam paintbrush, paint a layer of Mod Podge onto a coaster, then carefully place one of the cutouts onto the center, smoothing away any wrinkles or bubbles.
- Brush another layer of Mod Podge over the top of the artwork on the coaster in one direction (it will dry clear, but you will be able to see the texture once dry).
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 on each coaster and allow them all to fully dry.
- Once dry, turn each coaster perpendicular to the original brushstroke and paint another layer of Mod Podge over the top so a crosshatch texture is formed when dry.
- Allow this final layer to completely dry and you’re ready to use your own personal Disney coasters!