I love a good snack, snacks are delicious! Are they good for you? Ehhh it’s always up for debate, but if you are going to eat something between meals, perhaps while you’re cozying up to watch a movie or play a game, why not make it a healthier choice?
I think most nutritionists agree that anything deep-fried should be consumed in moderation or not at all, but chips are sooooo good! The solution? Let’s create our own oven-baked chips! This way we are regulating exactly what is going into and/or on to our chips with no deep-frying to be found!
- 1 pound of russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Wash the potatoes, then use a mandolin to uniformly slice them into thin chips.
- Place the potato slices into a large bowl and cover them with cold water.
- Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator to soak for at least 30 minutes to overnight.
- Drain the potato slices and pat them dry.
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Coat a large baking sheet (or more) with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, toss the potato slices together with the olive oil and salt to coat evenly.
- Spread the potato slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the chips are a very light golden color and appear crunchy. Keep a careful eye on the potatoes to make sure they don’t brown and overcook.
- Allow the chips to cool completely.