Part of the fun in raising Zoey is making things that delight her; I want to create fun, educational crafts for her that are made with love and will be loved! I see much play dough in our future, and while buying it is always a viable option, how fun and cost effective is it to make some on your own?
So let’s make some homemade play dough!
- Large saucepan
- Wooden spoon
- Wax paper
- Sandwich bags
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup of salt
- 4 teaspoons of cream of tartar
- 2 cups of warm water
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Food coloring
- Place the cream of tartar, flour, and salt in a large saucepan and stir to combine.
- Slowly add the oil and water, stirring until well incorporated.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring consistently, until the mixture thickens into a dough.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow the dough to cool slightly until it can be handled comfortably.
- Divide the dough into equal portions based on how many colors you would like, and roll into balls.
- Put on gloves and press an indentation into each ball of dough, then add 15 drops of food coloring to the indentation of each ball to start, you can always add more later.
- Knead each ball of dough until the color is well incorporated. If the color is not as bright as you want, you can add more food coloring and knead again.
*This can be stored in sandwich bags, one for each color. Just be sure to remove all the excess air for longevity of the dough!