Welcome back friends! This week we’ll be cooking Hen Wen’s Apple Porridge from Disney’s The Black Cauldron.
This recipe is featured in the beginning of the film, when Caer Dallben asks Taran to feed Hen Wen the porridge he prepared for her.
This porridge looks much more appetizing than the one in the film. I couldn’t help myself! I thought to myself, if I wanted to eat porridge with apples, I’d want the apples to be cooked separately to develop their flavor more and I’m sure Hen Wen would approve!
HEN WEN’S APPLE PORRIDGE
- 2 apples, peeled and cut into slices
- 1/3 cup of water
- Brown sugar
- 1 cup of old fashioned oats
- 1 3/4 cups of whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- Brown sugar
- Peel and cut the apples into slices.
- Pour the water into a small sauce pan, then add the apples.
- Sprinkle the desired amount of cinnamon and brown sugar onto the apples and stir to distribute.
- Cover and cook until tender, stirring occasionally to evenly coat and cook the apples.
- Once cooked, remove from the heat and set aside for the porridge (see below).
- In a medium saucepan, boil the milk with the salt.
- Stir in the oats.
- Cook the oats for about 5 minutes over medium heat; stirring occasionally.
- Remove the porridge from the heat and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon, then stir to distribute.
- Spoon the porridge into two bowls and arrange the cooked apple slices (see above) on top. I arranged mine into the shape of a rose and I believe next time I’ll cover the porridge completely.