It’s the middle of Summer and I would love to take Zoey to the beach for the first time, but just about everything she picks up is quickly introduced to her mouth! I understand she’s figuring things out (and more power to her), but I’m not super enthusiastic about her ingesting beach sand. So, until she gets a little less eager to put everything in her mouth, why not bring a little beach experience to her?
Part of the fun in raising Zoey is making things that teach and fascinate her. We can make edible “sand” that’s fun to play in and safe to eat out of graham crackers and oatmeal; let’s make it!
- 1 box of graham crackers.
- 2 cups of oatmeal (I used whole grain old-fashioned oats)
- A food processor
- A mixing bowl
- A mixing spoon
- A container for playing in the “sand” (I used a heavy casserole dish)
- Beach or ocean themed toys (optional)
- Open the graham crackers and blend them in the food processor until they are a fine sand-like texture.
- Remove the graham crackers from the food processor and pour them into a mixing bowl.
- Measure the oatmeal into the food processor and blend it until it is also a fine sand-like texture.
- Remove the oatmeal from the food processor and add it to the mixing bowl with the graham crackers.
- Using a mixing spoon, stir the graham crackers and oatmeal together until well combined.
- Pour the edible “sand” into the container you’ve chosen for your baby to play in. I used a heavy casserole dish since Zoey’s not strong enough to flip it yet. You can always double or triple the graham cracker and oatmeal ratio if you want to fill a larger container.
- Arrange beach and/or ocean themed toys in the sand for your little one to play with (optional).
- Introduce the edible “sand” to your baby and enjoy!