Have you tried a classic, fluffy sugar cookie? They are so cozy and delicious, and would pair perfectly with any warm beverage of your choice. Share them with family, friends, even leave them out with some milk for Santa Claus!
CLASSIC FLUFFY SUGAR COOKIES
- 2 3/4 cups of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups of granulated sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt, then set this bowl aside.
- In another large bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together the butter and 1 1/2 cups of the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and the vanilla extract to the creamed butter, and thoroughly mix again.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated (you may need to use your hands). The dough will be soft and slightly dewy when ready.
- Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator to chill for at least one hour or more.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator when ready and pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup of granulated sugar into a small mixing bowl and set it aside.
- Line a large baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper.
- Scoop out portions of 1 to 2 tablespoons of dough, rolling them into balls about an inch to an inch and a half in diameter. Roll each cookie dough ball in the bowl of sugar to coat, then place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes (this varies per oven so keep an eye on them) or until the top of the cookie begins to crinkle and the bottom sides turn golden brown.
- Let cookies rest on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes. Then transfer them to a wire cooking rack to finish cooling completely.